Corbett Mayerson Award Competition
The annual Corbett Mayerson competition celebrates the artistic integrity that is the foundation upon which SCPA was established. Open to juniors in all artistic fields, the competition spotlights student artists who have displayed excellence in their work. After completing a round of preliminaries and a second round of semi finals, top student artists are selected to have their work evaluated in a third and final round by distinguished judges from the fields of the creative and performing arts. The competition culminates in an evening of ceremony, where each student presents their work. From these presentations, up to seven winners are chosen, representing the pinnacle of talent and work ethic at SCPA. Winners of the Corbett Mayerson competition receive a scholarship to further their education and artistic practice, in their senior year.
“Ultimate Spotlight” celebration of the Corbett Mayerson Awards
Join us for a night of artistic achievement as members of SCPA’s junior class are selected as finalists to compete in their chosen arts discipline before an audience and a panel of judges. The judges will select seven outstanding performances. This is a night to watch our rising stars of tomorrow!
Friday, May 13, 2022
7:00-9:00 PM — Corbett Mayerson Finalist Competition in the Corbett Theater
This complimentary portion of the evening is open to the public.
9:00-9:30 PM — Dessert Reception with the 2021 Corbett Mayerson Finalists
All attendees are invited to celebrate with the finalists.
Corbett Mayerson Scholarship Award CLASS of 2022
The Corbett Mayerson Scholarship Award competition application procedure is listed below. This procedure requires students to take the responsibility of delivering their materials to the Artistic Director before the deadline date. Students are required to perform the following tasks:
Complete the Artistic Statement Essay according to Corbett Mayerson guidelines listed below;
- Acquire their sponsors signature;
- Work with your sponsor on your Artistic Statements Essay;
- Complete the Technical Needs form;
- Submit the Student Entry form (with Sponsor’s signature), Artist Statement Essay and Technical Needs Request form to the Artistic Director’s office before 4:00 p.m. on March 4, 2022. The student must submit all forms and each student must log in at the time of their submission.
DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO ENTER THE COMPETITION!
Read the Corbett Mayerson Entry Form instructions carefully. Complete all the requirements and submit your application early! If your entry forms are not completed to the Corbett Mayerson Competition Committee’s satisfaction they will be returned to you for revision. However, once the deadline for entry forms has passed revisions will not be accepted. APPLY EARLY!
Corbett Mayerson Guidelines
- Competition is open to juniors who have completed at least one year (two semesters) at SCPA.
- Students are to compete in the arts area(s), in which they are studying as majors.
- A faculty member teaching in the major needs to sponsor students and sign students’ entry forms.
- Students may compete in more than one area in the prelims, but must choose to compete in one area only for finals if eligible in two arts categories.
- Students have a maximum of six (6) minutes to present their work.
- Participants are responsible for arranging for accompanists, recorded music, special equipment, etc.
- Students must fill out a TECHNICAL NEEDS FORM even if they do not need technical support.
- Students competing in more than one arts area in the Prelim competition must fill out a complete Entry Packet for each artistic discipline.
- Creative Writers may present a section of their work at the prelims (scene from play, sections of written work) and should leave time for interviews (total time no longer than six minutes).
- In most cases the finalists will be announced by the end of the semi-finals week.
Artistic Statement Guidelines
Please attach to the forms with a paperclip, a typed, (Font size 10-12) one-page artistic statement that addresses the following:
- Write your name and area of competition in the header;
- Why you have chosen this particular artistic field;
- Why you chose to pieces you are performing;
- What are your artistic goals, strengths;
- What the Corbett Mayerson Scholarship means to you;
- Anything you want the judges to know about you and your work.
THE ARTISTIC STATEMENT IS ONE (1) PAGE ONLY! ARTISTIC STATEMENTS ARE COPIED ON THE BACK OF YOUR SCORE SHEET. IF YOUR ESSAY IS LONGER THAN ONE PAGE YOUR ENTIRE STATEMENT WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO THE JUDGES.
Important Date and Deadlines
February 2, 2022 – Arts Faculty have held preliminary department auditions and selected their up to top six students to compete in the semi-finals.
February 14 - March 4, 2022 - Artistic Director’s office accepts student applications. All forms should be submitted to the Artistic Director’s office only by the student, and all applicants will sign a log sheet identifying the time and date of their entry.
March 4, 2022, BY 4 P.M. - ENTRY APPLICATION DEADLINE!
All Corbett-Mayerson Entry Forms and essays must be time-stamped by 4:00 p.m. on March 4, 2022. All entry forms will be timed stamped as they are submitted and students will sign a login sheet verifying their submission.
March 23 and March 24, 2022 - Students compete in the Corbett Mayerson Semi-finals located in the Mayerson Theater.
May 13, 2022 – Corbett Mayerson Finals Rehearsals - Scheduled throughout the day.
May 13, 2022 – Corbett Mayerson Competition – 7:00 p.m.
Winners are announced at Class Day. Corbett Mayerson winners will perform/exhibit their work to the student body on Awards Day in May and at scheduled events throughout the following school year.