Mission of the Orchestral Program
The mission of the Orchestral Program at SCPA is to provide the finest level of musical training available to both high school and elementary students, emphasizing the development of the whole musician. In addition to instruction in their major area, music students benefit from their participation in chamber ensembles, master classes and other orchestral performances. This program prepares its graduates to continue their musical studies in both major conservatories and university departments.
Students major in violin, viola, cello, or string bass. Instrumental instruction is provided by the faculty of the School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA), and by members of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.
Private instruction for non-majors is available to all students based on availability.
- Recognized as one of the top programs in the USA by the GRAMMY Foundation. Named a GRAMMY Signature School three consecutive years.
- Performed with the Cincinnati POPS Orchestra and the Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra.
- Invited by President Obama to perform at the White House
- Performed at Carnegie Hall 2005, 2008.
- Received Superior Ratings at State Orchestra Contests.
- Selected to perform at the Ohio Music Educators Association (OMEA) state conference in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004.
- Students accepted into local Youth Symphony Orchestras and State Orchestras.